The award ceremony holds on the margins of the 5th AU-EU Summit in Abidjan, Cote d`Ivoire – PRESS RELEASE
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast, November 28, 2017/ — The African Union Commission (AUC) (https://AU.int) officially awards grants to thirteen successful consortia of institutions that will serve as Regional Implementing Centres for the Global Monitoring for Environment and Security and Africa (GMES and Africa) (http://GMES4Africa.blogspot.in) Support Programme. The award ceremony holds on the margins of the 5th AU-EU Summit in Abidjan, Cote d`Ivoire.
Following a Call for Proposals in May 2017, a number of African institutions operating in the areas of water, natural resources, marine and coastal areas, applied for the GMES and Africa Support Programme Grants. To evaluate the applications and select the most suitable consortia of institutions that submitted proposals, the African Union Commission instituted a committee supported by a team of assessors comprising African earth observation experts.
Thirteen consortia of institutions were finally selected and the award marks the official announcement of their selection.
- Central Africa: Agence Gabonaise d’Etudes et d’Observations Spatiale (AGEOS) and Commission Internationale du Bassin Congo-Oubangui-Sangha (CICOS) for Water and natural resources service.
- East Africa:
- IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Centre (ICPAC) and Regional Centre for Mapping off Resources for Development (RCMRD) for Water and natural resources service
- Mauritius Oceanography Institute (MOI) for Marine and coastal areas service
- North Africa:
- National Authority for Remote Sensing & Space Sciences (NARSS) for marine and coastal area service
- Observatoire du Sahara et du Sahel (OSS) for water and natural ressources service
- Southern Africa:
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) for marine and coastal areas service
- Southern African Development Community Climate Services Centre (SADC-CSC) and Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management (SASSCAL) for water and natural resources service
- West Africa
- Centre de Suivi Ecologique (CSE) and Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria (CSSTE-Obafemi) for water and natural resources service
- University of Ghana (UG) for Marine and coastal areas service
At the award ceremony, the Commissioner for Human Resources, Science and Technology at the African Union Commission, Professor Sarah Anyang Agbor, felicitated the successful institutions on their selection, which she said was based on their experience and proven capacities. She implored them to deliver the goods, and promised the African Union Commission’s unflinching support.
Distributed by APO Group on behalf of GMES and Africa.